We all know how it feels when a cold is coming on: you start to feel a tickle in your throat, your sinuses feel congested, and a sudden heaviness comes over your body.
You probably don’t think of your immune system until you find yourself bed-ridden after being around your coughing coworkers and your sniffling little ones. But your immune system works every day to ward off infections and illnesses.
Here is how to build up your defenses so you can fight off health threats!
Eat a well-balanced diet
Your first line of defense when it comes to fighting illnesses and infections comes from what you put into your stomach. Consuming a diet of pizza and fries may sound delicious in the moment, but it won’t aid your immune system in the long run.
The best way to keep your immune system intact is by eating a nutrient-packed, well-rounded diet that includes protein and fiber, such as lean meats, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Working out does more than keep your waist trim. Regular exercise is one of the pillars of healthy living, from improving your cardiovascular health, lowering blood pressure, controlling your body weight, and fighting infections and illnesses.
Frequently Wash Your Hands
You use your hands to open doors, greet business partners, prepare tonight’s dinner, and phone your closest friends, so with touching germy surfaces all day, you should wash your hands more often.
Get Enough Sleep
Ever noticed how the nights you don’t get enough sleep turn into the mornings you’re not only fighting to keep your eyes open, but also struggling to complete sentences without coughing?
When your body is well-rested, you’re able to function throughout the day with ease, so turn off the TV and close your laptop and catch up on your Zzz’s.
Find ways to relax
When you’re stressed out, your body is in fight or flight mode, which can make you feel depleted, and in turn, make you feel sick. Find ways to relax your mind, whether that’s reading the book that’s been sitting on your shelf, practicing yoga, or listening to your favorite music!
When your immune system and body work together, you’re optimizing your health to ward off infections and promote longevity. At Synergy Immediate Care, we offer a number of health services to make sure your health is in check.
- Primary Care – Physicals, weight loss, vaccinations, and management of blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and other common medical conditions
- Urgent Care – Colds and flu treatment, treatment of lacerations, wound care
- Endocrinology – Evaluation, treatment, and management of adult endocrine disorders such as diabetes, thyroid conditions, and reproductive system disorders
- Psychiatry – Evaluation, treatment and management of anxiety disorders, depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, and others
- Dermatology – Treatment of hyperhidrosis, rashes, acne, eczema, and other common skin issues
- OB/GYN – Infertility treatment, abnormal uterine bleeding, IUD placement, and abnormal Pap smear management