Lyme Disease Testing in Tysons, VA
The months between April and September are the most active months for ticks and cases of Lyme disease. Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected blacklegged tick. If left untreated, it can spread to and infect joints, the heart, and nervous system.
Lyme disease is often detected on physical findings, such as a skin rash that has a “bull’s eye” appearance, as well as other known symptoms including:
- Muscle and Joint Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
You can avoid being infected with Lyme disease by taking precautionary measures such as:
- Using repellent that has 20 percent or more DEET, picaridin, or IR3535 on exposed skin for protection that lasts several hours
- Avoiding wooded or brushy areas with high grass
- Walking in the center of trails
- Showering after coming indoors to wash off and/or easily find ticks that are crawling on you
- Conducting a full-body tick check upon returning from tick-infested areas
If you find a tick attached to your skin, or you’re suffering from symptoms and want a doctor’s evaluation, the physicians at Synergy Immediate Care can remove the tick as well as treat your symptoms.
Questions about tick-borne illnesses? Call us at 703-942-5331 for more information or stop by our medical center today!