“Men take better care of their cars than their own bodies.”
Many mothers, wives, daughters, and sisters can say this about the men in their lives. Men are notorious for putting on a brave face when injured, forgoing a doctor’s visit when a cough has been lingering for several weeks, or putting off an annual wellness exam. But neglecting overall health can lead to a number of health conditions such as diabetes, heart and lung disease, and cancer, which are leading causes of death for American men.
With June being Men’s Health Month, there is no better time for men to take control over their health and start adopting better lifestyle habits. Here are a few ways you can get your health on track:
- Watch your diet: A part of a healthy diet is including more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats, but one overlooked aspect of maintaining a healthy diet includes avoiding processed foods, added sugars, sodium, and cholesterol.
- Get moving: Exercise is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy heart as well as keep off unnecessary weight. Pick up a beloved hobby like swimming or bike riding, or join an adult sports league to get your body moving!
- Have an annual checkup: Having a primary care physician is beneficial to your overall health by having a doctor with whom you feel comfortable sharing your health concerns as well as being a guide to facilitate necessary lifestyle changes.
- Get screened: Many chronic diseases are easily preventable by getting immunizations as well as getting screened for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, STDs/STIs, and other health conditions.
- Check your mental health: Mental health is just as important as physical health, so it’s important to recognize symptoms of mental health conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, PTSD, or substance abuse.
You know your health is at stake when your car in better shape than you. Are you ready to get your health in check? At Synergy Immediate Care, our team of medical professionals want to help you make lifestyle changes to improve your health for the long run. Visit us for your next wellness exam, immunizations, or visit with one of our specialists for endocrinology or mental health.
For more information on the services we provide, please call to schedule an appointment or speak with one of our medical professionals at 703-942-5331.