There’s something magical that happens when the clock strikes midnight with the arrival of a new year. Many people make the conscious decision to improve themselves mentally and physically.
January might be a great time to have a fresh start, but New Year’s resolutions can be difficult to keep.
Here are seven small goals to accomplish this year that will help improve your mental and physical states.
- Drink more water: This is another common New Year’s resolution, but it imperative to make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day, as many are unaware they are chronically dehydrated.
- Declutter: Ever heard the expression, “Your home is a reflection of your mind”? Decluttering not only helps rid you of unnecessary items, but also helps you focus on the things you want to add to your life.
- Take the stairs: If your office has 35 floors, taking the stairs can be a bit daunting, but stairs are a great way to get your body moving, increases your heart rate, and increases your metabolic rate – no gym required.
- Take 15 minutes every day to do something for you: In the humdrum of life, we often get so busy catering to everyone else that we forget to care for ourselves. Focus on engaging in more activities that not only make you feel good, but also relieves stress for at least 15 minutes a day.
- Get more sleep: Along with getting your 15 minutes of “me-time” each day, be sure you are getting the best self-care activity every day: enough sleep. Lack of sleep is often the underlying cause of many health issues, including stress, anxiety, and low immunity. Most people should aim for at least six to eight hours a day for a full night’s rest.
- Practice mindful eating: This includes not mindlessly eating a bag of chips in front of the TV nor eating at your desk. Practicing mindful eating allows you learn to pay attention to your body’s appetite, so you only eat when you’re hungry. Then you can stop yourself when you’re full.
- Pay your doctor a visit: Your primary care physician is your go-to for any and all of your health concerns. Be sure to schedule your yearly physical with your PCP to make sure your health is in top notch for the year. If you have diabetes, make sure you have routine care with an endocrinologist. For those of you with mental health conditions, a good psychiatrist is a must.
At Synergy Immediate Care, we offer a range of medical services to help you get your health in check for the year! Some of the services we offer at our center include:
Primary Care – Annual Physicals, Immunizations, Weight Loss, Chronic condition monitoring
Endocrinology – Diabetes, Thyroid, and Hormonal Imbalance Maintenance
Psychiatry – Anxiety Disorders, Attention-Deficit Disorder (ADD) & Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Mood Disorders like depression and bipolar disorder
For more information about the services we provide, please call to speak with one of our medical staff members at 703-942-5331.